Friday, August 6, 2010

Looking for Something Fast and Restaurant Worthy?

I am always on the look out for a new recipe to try, but only once in a blue moon do I stumble upon one that is a true keeper.   One for me was the Tuna with Cipollini onions that I shared with you recently.  The other is the one I'm going to post to you now!  "Pasta with Bacon and Leeks".  The Pioneer Woman published this recipe a couple of weeks ago.  I have never had leeks that I am aware of and certain I have never cooked with them, but for some reason it just sounded delicious!  So this is my go at this recipe!

I've made a few changes, the biggest being that I used bacon instead of Pancetta.  I wasn't even going to bother to buy that because I know it's not a regular staple in my house and I like to make meals with things I generally have on hand.

Anyway, I made the dish last night.  It took all of 15/20 minutes to prepare.  It was AMAZING!  Not rich at all so I was able to eat enough to actually be full.  Often times when I eat pasta with cream sauces, I just can't handle the richness of them and I think it's due to the fact that I usually use butter.  I left the butter out of this recipe.  You don't need it, you really don't!  I also only used one leek.  My leek seemed humongous to me and I also wasn't certain Jack would like this.

After all was said and done, there was nothing but "Yummms and OMG's"  for dinner conversation!   This was truly as good as anything I've ever had in a restaurant and would be perfect for company as well!   For more detailed photos you can always hop over to Ree's website and take a look at her photo's and recipe for this dish.   She has a WAY better camera than I do and her pictures always rock!  (not to mention, she will have you laughing out loud!)


Gather your ingredients.....I used Penne because it's what I had.



Chop your leeks and bacon, being sure to slice the leeks thin.



Cook the bacon until it starts to brown and then add the sliced leeks and cook for 8 minutes.



Pour in the wine and cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until reduced.



Reduce the heat to low and pour in the cream.



This will thicken as it simmers a bit.


Salt and Pepper to taste and stir in the Parmesan shavings.  Toss in the pasta!



Shave some Parmesan on the top and serve!


This dish comes together VERY fast!  I was unprepared for this fact, so much so that it ended up being the whole meal because I didn't have the time to throw the salad together!  The three of us put this whole recipe away. If we "had" had a salad and maybe some bread it would easily serve 4, maybe 5 depending on how big your male counterparts appetites are.  My Male is starving when he gets home and can really devour pasta!   










Recipe: Pasta with Bacon and Leeks



Ingredients




  • 12 ounces Pasta, Cooked Al Dente

  • Reserved Pasta Water, If Needed

  • 3 ounces, chopped bacon

  • 3 whole Leeks, Sliced Thin

  • ½ cups Dry White Wine

  • ½ cups Heavy Cream

  • Salt And Freshly Ground Pepper, To Taste

  • Parmesan Cheese, Shaved




Instructions



  1. Cook pasta and set aside. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.

  2. Saute chopped bacon until it starts to brown.

  3. Add sliced leeks and cook for 8 minutes.

  4. After 8 to 10 minutes, pour in wine, then cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until reduced.

  5. Turn heat to low, then pour in cream.

  6. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir in the Parmesan shavings.

  7. Toss in pasta, adding a little pasta water to thin as needed. Serve with Parmesan shavings over the top




Quick Notes


I used only one large  leek. It was perfect. I also added a little more cream after I had mixed the pasta with the sauce, just because I couldn't help myself..:)




Microformatting by hRecipe.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for using hRecipe, and allowing the trackback. I'm actively working on hRecipe right now, in fact, just made some updates this morning.

    I really like your photos, and your layout is superb!

    You can watch development here: http://hrecipe.com/

    I did just release an official update, so if you customized the CSS stylesheet, please be careful, make a copy before updating.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely something we would like. Thanks so much for the recipe, Sheree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, thank you for the hRecipe plugin! I ran the update this morning, hope that's the one you speak of. I didn't customize the css stylesheet as I'm sort of a point and click kind of girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, you have to come back and give me your review on this if you do make it! I would love to know if everyone else loves it as much as me...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheree!
    I have to give you huge props for being on top of your pictures as you do/make/decorate things! I love your blog!! So glad we are "virtual" friends... wish we lived closer so I could come over to your house ALOT for dinner!! :)
    Love you girl! Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber, if you look close enough you will see I miss some pictures too! Like in the above recipe I failed to take a picture of the pasta as I was mixing it in the pan, nor did I get one of cutting up the bacon. However I am going to assume that anyone that reads here knows how to cut up bacon and if not, it would be just as delicious kept whole!!
    Glad to have you as a virtual friend as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if I wasn't hungry before I came I am now! Oh anything with bacon can't be bad right?
    I can almost smell it all cooking.
    I just used my leek yesterday otherwise I would be making a pan ful right now. Just stopped in to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my... that looks DElicious!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Sheree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds so delicious and is something my family would be sure to eat! I'm going to print that out right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheree,

    Thank you for sharing this. My two favorite things are cream and pasta! Love fettucine alfredo and carbonara. Gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete