Saturday, August 14, 2010

Herbed Chicken in Pastry

I'm still in the experimental stage with Puff Pastry and learn a bit more every time I cook with it.  This is the second time I've made this recipe I'm going to share with you.  The last time I made it, I wasn't very exact with the width that I rolled the pastry out to, and I made little bundles about half the size of these. Just a fyi, I preferred the taste of the smaller ones than these full size ones.  I would suggest making it both ways (in your free time ;) and seeing what you like.


These are great for guest as it appears like you put a lot of work into them, but really they are quite easy and don't take much time to prepare.  This recipe is adapted from this one at the Pepperidge Farm puff pasty website.  I'll post the changes I made at the end of this entry. I'll post a printable recipe at the end.


If you have the foresight, you will want to take the puff pastry out of the freezer and thaw it in the refrigerator. I did this the night before I was going to make it.


Heat the oven to 400°F.  Beat one egg and 1 Tbs. of water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk. (this is for the egg wash)

Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.  Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes for full breast (less for tenderloins) or until it's well browned on both sides.


Remove the chicken to a plate. Cover the plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 24 hours.


I did not have any garlic & herb spreadable cheese so I made my own using cream cheese and dried dill and chives. This worked perfectly!


Next unfold the pastry and set it on a floured surface


Roll the pastry sheet into a 14-inch square


Cut into 4 (7-inch) squares


Spread 2 tbs. of cream cheese spread in the center of each pastry square.


I used 3 tenderloins instead of 1 breast for each square only because this is what I always have on hand.
Place the chicken on top of the cheese mixture.


Brush the edges of the pastry squares with the egg mixture.
Fold the corners of the pastry squares to the center over the chicken and press to seal.


Place the filled pastries seam-side down onto a baking sheet.  Brush the pastries with the egg mixture.  You all know how much I love sharing my screw ups with you, so here comes another one! I got ahead of myself (and the recipe) and failed to turn the filled pastries seam side down before I brushed on the egg wash.  Now I learned two things from this mistake. First being that they look prettier with the seams up, but I think would be moister with the cheese mixture being on the top while baking.  So when I make these again (which I will) I will do them just like I did here except I'll put the cheese mixture on top of the chicken.


Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown.
Let the pastries cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.




Hope you all are having a wonderful, relaxing weekend!










 





Recipe: Herbed Chicken in Pastry



Ingredients



  • 1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed

  • 1 egg 1 tablespoon water Ground black pepper (optional)

  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)

  • 2 tablespoons butter 1 container (4 ounces) garlic & herb spreadable cheese




Instructions



  1. Heat the oven to 400°F.

  2. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.

  3. Season the chicken with the black pepper, if desired.

  4. Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.

  5. Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until it's well browned on both sides.

  6. Remove the chicken to a plate. Cover the plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 24 hours.

  7. Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.

  8. Roll the pastry sheet into a 14-inch square. Cut into 4 (7-inch) squares.

  9. Spread about 2 tablespoons cheese spread in the center of each pastry square.

  10. Top each with 1 chicken breast. Brush the edges of the pastry squares with the egg mixture.

  11. Fold the corners of the pastry squares to the center over the chicken and press to seal.

  12. Place the filled pastries seam-side down onto a baking sheet.

  13. Brush the pastries with the egg mixture.

  14. Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown.

  15. Let the pastries cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.




Quick Notes


These look pretty with the seam side up. If you want to do them this way just be sure to put the cheese on top of the chicken before folding the sides over.




Number of servings (yield): 4


Meal type: dinner


Microformatting by hRecipe.





9 comments:

  1. This recipe was incredible Sheree! I can taste it coming up off my monitor by just looking. Wish I was psychic, we would have "popped" in for dinner. :)

    Almost un-related... when are you going to rave about boursin cheese?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I actually only took a photo of the finished boursin cheese when I last made it, so I'm missing photos of the process. Though it's really no more than mixing the stuff together....maybe I'll "rave" about it this week! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like something I am going to have to try for supper tonight...thanks for the recipe. (I have a growing collection from you:))
    How ARE you???? Glad summer is "cooling down"...or is cooling over there?
    Hugs and happy day to you my friend,
    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Dawn! We had a cool front come in to interrupt this heat wave! It's actually 66 right now and only expecting a high of 88 today. It's wonderful!
    Let me know if you make this and how it goes over. Jack likes it, so I think it's kid approved and I'm becoming a big fan of puff pastry!
    Hope you have a wonderful day as well my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! you are brilliant! If it wasn't so hot I would make it tonight.....pizza instead,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My stomach is officially growling now. That looks amazing. AND I seem to recall I have a package of puff pastry in the freezer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheree I can't wait to try this recipe! Looks so delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have not cooked with puff pastry before now. can i assemble these a few hours ahead and then bake them later?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last time I made these, I did just that. I think I made them about 4 or 5 hours ahead of time and put them in the frig until I was ready to bake them. However I have never read that you could. You might check the Pepperidge Farm website and see if they have any tips. I am thinking too far ahead of time (like the day before) probably wouldn't be a good idea.

    By the way Christy, the puff pastry is very forgiving, so don't be afraid of it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete